Friday 23 December 2011

21/12/2011 NOT A GOOD SLEEP

Left Bay of Fires & headed south to Scamander.  Again the shoreline is white sandy beach with aqua blue water.  Because it was windy, we headed inland to a free camp in the forest on the Scamander River.  Navman was taking us up some treacherous roads, where we reverse back & get on the right track.  Skinny dirt roads are not my thing!  Passed one car & found the rest area. No one here.  We inspected the area & found lots of broken glass.  It felt very eerie.  I didn't want to stay. To the left of us there was somebodies camping gear.  Jade wanted to stay & all I could think about was axe murderer.  I actually said it out loud & I turned around to see the worried look on Kirsty & Jade’s faces.  “What's an Axe Murderer Mummy” they asked?  I made an excuse.  An hour went by & 2 families arrived, thank god.  Mike caught 2 bream & fished into the night as we went to bed. 

I did not sleep very well & heard footsteps thinking it was the other campers.  Sometime after that we were awoken with a man yelling “Anyone there?  Sorry to wake you.” Mike jumped up “What Huh Yeh!” he yelled as he was in a deep sleep. I could tell the man was close to the door & he kept coughing & clearing his throat.  We kept silent, as we were in the middle of a forest!  What was he doing in the middle of the night, with no torch! “Can you give me a jump start?”. Mike said “No mate.  In the morning”. The man said “ OK, I’ll try a push it.” and off he went.  We had no idea where his car was.  Then Mike tells me there are no other campers here.  We could hear heaps of possums rummaging around in the bins(I thought it was the man).  Later a car came along to assist the man and they both drove off. Thank God!  No Axe Murderer!!!

Mike caught 3 Bream.  We packed up next morning & were out of there!  Headed along the skinny highway down through Elephant Pass, not without stopping at the famous Pancakes Place.  They were certainly delicious.  With our full bellies we headed onwards & reached the beautiful Bicheno. Awesome scenery once again! Went to bed early!

PC210009

 

PC210005

PC180003

No comments:

Post a Comment